27 July 2018
9.30 – 3.00 pm
Steps Training Course - Stage 1
BNZ Partners Business Centre,
5 Sir William Pickering Drive,
This course is suitable for teachers, teacher aides, SENCOs, RTLBs and specialist tutors. It is intended for teachers who are involved with remedial literacy teaching.
The course covers
- Background theory, including how literacy develops and what causes learners to struggle
- Neurological aspects, including how the brain ‘reads’ and what goes wrong with learners with difficulties
- Catering for dyslexic learners
- Effective remedial methodology principles for struggling learners
Materials and Methodology
- Using the StepsWeb online literacy programme
- Steps to Literacy Initial and Steps to Literacy workbook courses
- Teaching principles and methodology – remedial literacy
- Planning, organisation and record keeping
Note: The Steps software programme is a major software programme which takes a considerable amount of time to view. Until now, we have done an overview of the programme within the day’s course. However, this does not leave sufficient time for the practical aspects. We are now asking attendees to do some prior preparation before attending the course. This includes:
- Watch the StepsWeb video (only 3 1/2 mins!), which shows Steps and StepsWeb in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcw1YmVcIGU
- Have a look through the www.stepsweb.com website to familiarize yourself with the programme. If your school doesn't have its own licence, you can access a free trial.
- Have a look at the tutorials and information on the Support Site. https://support.stepsweb.com
Further information can be found on the ‘Why Steps’ section of the website and attendees can access/print the Stage 1 course notes by clicking here
Morning tea and lunch will be provided.
Spaces limited – booking essential.
Please note: If minimum bookings are not received by three weeks prior, course may be cancelled.